Sunday, June 3, 2012

Therapist's reply

Wow, Susie. A LOT of transitions going on - end of school year, favorite teachers not returning, missing those positive interactions during carpool waiting, schedule shifts...I can see why dreams of loss are surfacing... Yes, remember that you don't have to get any of this stuff "right" right now. I'm so sorry to hear about Lizzy. That is tough! I'm concerned about making too long of a consequence for her at age 5. What about breaking into smaller time frames...like before you get into a pool, or go outside for slip n slide, you need to have gone to the bathroom in the potty that day. It's basically the same thing but breaking it down for her into something more manageable. Does that make sense? Yes, summer makes self-care more difficult. Keep in mind that everyone is in a transition time and dealing with change and being together more. You don't have to manage this perfectly. "Just keep swimming" - as Dori would say...

No comments: