Friday, April 11, 2008

Learning to trust myself

A friend recently asked me my thoughts about learning to trust myself. I took a few days to reply, and finally came up with something tonight, that I want to share here.

Perhaps learning to trust oneself is different for everyone. I do not know. I do, however, know my own journey of learning to trust myself and to trust the Lord. In a session with my therapist several weeks ago, I was telling her about how I could not trust myself. She asked me, "Who is it you can't trust?" and I said, "Myself". She asked me again, "Susie, who is it you cannot trust?" Again I answered, "Myself". Again she asked me, "Susie, who is the one who does not deserve your trust?" This time I paused, took a deep breath and searched my heart. Answering from the depths of my soul, where my truths are found, I said, " My father."

Another friend recently reminded me that it is truth that makes us free. When I admitted out loud that it was my father who was not trustworthy, to a compassionate person who listened to and validated my statement, some of the painful burden of my past was lifted. :)

No comments: