A place for me to share my thoughts, feelings and discoveries about this journey called life. If you are visiting this blog, I hope that you will learn good things and share your love and support. :)
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Allowing the grief
I had a very productive therapy session yesterday. My new assignment is to allow myself to miss people when they are gone. I am to feel the feelings, neither repressing them nor condemning myself for having them. Where possible, I am to contact a supportive person, share my feelings and allow myself to be comforted. Sigh. Perhaps this sounds simple to the reader, but I assure you it is painfully difficult to rely on another person. However, I have been putting this into practice. Last night I leaned on Mark a little. Today I shared some of my sorrow with Becky. The amazing thing was, that I only needed to feel sorrowful for about 15 minutes, shed a few tears and then I felt better. It reminds me of my little children. When they are hurt,frightened,or angry, most of the time, if I take time to hear what they are saying, really listen, validate there feelings and comfort them, the emotional storm blows over pretty quickly. Perhaps it is the same for me! This is good news, because though I will need to fall apart from time to time, mourning doesn't entail that I fall apart all of the time. That is definitely good news!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My dear friend, I completely understand the difficulty of your new assignment and my prayers are with you. I'm so very glad that you were able to reach out and found comfort and that the time you needed and took (YAYY!) helped and wasn't as long as you thought. May you be blessed with many more positive experiences with feeling the feelings.
Love you!!! Cheering you on!! :)
Your insight about children is interesting to me. I believe that Heavenly Father treats us in that way too. When I feel sad and am able to express it to Him, He helps me in some way, even with something as simple as seeing a beautiful flower, and if I notice and let myself feel "cheered up," listened to, etc. I feel better. I think that's when I'm "becoming as a little child, humble, teachable, etc.
Post a Comment