Thursday, July 17, 2008

Group therapy

Today was my first session with the new Female Survivors of Sexual Abuse group. I was extremely anxious about going, as my last experience with group therapy was terribly stressful for me. I have had nightmares about going to this group for at least a week. When I awoke today, however, I felt peaceful about it. It went much better than I had hoped, thanks to all of you who have included me in your prayers. It was still stressful. How could it not be, because of the topic and what is shared. I feel strongly that this is the next step I need to take in my healing, being a part of this group. It is definitely not going to be easy (is the pathway to healing ever easy?) I will need to find a way to hear and validate the pain of my fellow group members, without carrying the weight of it around with me outside of group. Sigh.

1 comment:

Sylvia said...

You have taken such a huge step!! I know it was still such a stressful experience, but you made it! Yayy!!! Go Susie!!!! :)

I pray that you find a way to help without taking on their heartache and pain, and that you will find healing for yourself as well. Lots of love to you, my friend! You are doing a great job! Way to go!!!